Salt Water Taffy is a candy and an upper-body workout all in one. To give it its light but chewy texture, you’ll be pulling it, and pulling it, and pulling it for up to 15 minutes. Still want to make it? Here’s a recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tsp glycerin (optional)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 T butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ to 1 tsp flavoring of choice (ie: vanilla, lemon, maple, mint…)
- 3 drops food coloring
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch in the saucepan.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the corn syrup, glycerin, water, butter, and salt. Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue stirring until mixture begins to boil, then let cook, undisturbed, until it reaches about 270° F or the soft-crack stage. Wash down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in warm water while the syrup cooks.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add food coloring and flavoring. Stir gently, then pour onto a greased marble slab or into a shallow greased cookie sheet to cool.
- When the taffy is cool enough to handle, grease your hands with oil or butter and pull the taffy until it's light in color and has a satiny gloss. You can have a friend help with this step, which should take about 10 minutes.
- Roll the pulled taffy into a long rope, about ½ inch in diameter, and cut it with greased scissors or a butter knife into 1-inch-long pieces.
- Let the pieces sit for about half an hour before wrapping them in wax paper or plastic wrap and twisting the ends of the wrapper.
Laura V. Hilton is an award-winning author, a pastor’s wife, and a homeschooling mother of three children. Her publishing credits include three books in the Amish of Seymour series (Patchwork Dreams, A Harvest of Hearts, and Promised to Another) and The Amish of Webster County series (Healing Love, Surrendered Love and Awakened Love). Her non-Amish book Swept Away will release November 2014.
A White Christmas in Webster County, and Snow Globe are her latest releases. Laura is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers and a professional book reviewer for the Christian market, with over a thousand book reviews published at various online review sites. She makes her home in Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas.
Purchase Laura’s books here.
Sign up here to be the first to get exclusive news delivered to your inbox monthly. New books, cover reveals, coupon codes, first-look excerpts and much more.