Schnitz is the Pennsylvania Dutch word for thinly sliced apples. I found this recipe in an old copy of The English Pennsylvania Dutch Dictionary. It’s very similar to the one my husband’s mother used. She wasn’t Amish, but many old German recipes traveled down through families here in Kansas. I have added the onion, which I believe makes this dish even better. This is a great recipe for leftover holiday ham.
Be warned, it’s loaded with stick to your ribs goodness and calories!
- 1 qt. dried apples
- 3 lbs. smoked ham
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ cup milk
- Cover the dried apples with water and soak overnight. (A three-hour soak will work just as well.)
- In a large kettle, cover the ham with water and simmer on low for two hours.
- When the ham is tender, add the apples and water they were soaked in, brown sugar and onion and continue to simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- To prepare the dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the beaten egg, butter and milk.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour all at once and stir until blended. Do not overwork.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto simmering ham and apples. Tightly cover the kettle and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve piping hot.
Pat Davids is a former NICU nurse who has always enjoyed creating stories of romance and adventure. Pat lives in central Kansas with her daughter, two grandchildren and three dogs. It’s a busy household.
Pat has served as president of the Wichita Area Romance Authors and has been a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writers of America. A frequent speaker to writer’s groups and book clubs, she enjoys sharing all she has learned about the Amish while researching her stories. Her latest release, Dec 2014, An Amish Christmas Journey, is the twelfth book in her Brides of Amish Country series. Look for more Amish titles from her in 2015.
Sign up here to join to be the first to get exclusive news delivered to your inbox monthly. You’ll learn about new books and gain access to cover reveals, first-look excerpts and exclusive giveaways.